Meal Change Policy
The goal of the Notre Dame Academy is to provide students access to nutritious no-or low-cost meals each school day.
However, unpaid charges place a large financial burden on our school. The purpose of this policy is to insure compliance with federal requirements for the USDA Child Nutrition Program, and to provide oversight and accountability for the collection of outstanding student meal balances.
The intent of this policy is to establish procedures to address unpaid meal charges throughout Notre Dame Academy. The provisions of this policy pertain to regular priced school breakfast, lunch and snack meals only. Notre Dame Academy provides this policy as a courtesy to those students in the event that they forget or lose their lunch money. Changing of items outside of the reimbursable meals (snacks) is expressly prohibited.
- Free Meal Benefit - Free eligible students will be allowed to receive a free breakfast and lunch each day. A la crate purchases must be paid/prepaid.
- Reduced Meal Benefit - Reduced eligible students will be allowed to receive a breakfast for $.25 and lunch for $.25 each day. A student will be allowed to charge a maximum of $5.00 meals to their account after the balance reaches zero. The charge meals offered to students will be reimbursable meals that are available to all students.
- Full Pay Students - Students will pay for meals at the school's published paid meal rate each day. If student is without meal money on a consistent basis, the administration will investigate the situation more closely and take further action as needed. If financial hardship exists, parents and families are encouraged to apply for free or reduced price lunches for their child if applicable. A student will be allowed to charge a maximum of $22.50 meals to their account after the balance reaches zero. The charge meals offered to students will be reimbursable meals that are available to all students.
- Parents/Guardians are responsible for meal payment to the food service program. Discreet notices of low or deficit balances will be sent to parents/guardians at regular intervals during the school year.
- Students/Parents/Guardians may pay for meals in advance with cash or with a check payable to Notre Dame Academy. Funds should be maintained in accounts to minimize the possibility that a child may be without meal money on any given day. Any remaining funds for a particular student may/will be carried over to the next school year. Our meal charge policy states that a student who requests a lunch and does not have the money to pay for the meal can charge a maximum of 10 meals. A charge slip will be sent home to notify the parent/guardian of the charge(s). If the student does not bring in the money for the meals, on the ninth charge, their choices for lunch will be PB & J or Cheese Sandwich lunch with milk for $2.25. We encourage all parents to prepay their children's meals to eliminate this concern for the students.
The administration encourages families to establish and regularly fund a prepaid nutrition services account for each child in the household. A negative balance in a student nutrition service account is a debt that is owed by the student's parent or guardian.
Once a student's account has a negative balance, the school will make an initial and follow-up attempt to collect the debt by providing the student's parent or guardian with notice (e.g., by mail, email, telephone, etc.) of the amount owed. Payment is due immediately upon notice.
If a student is without meal money on a consistent basis, the administration will investigate the situation more closely and take further action as needed. If financial hardship exists, parents and families are encouraged to apply for free or reduced price lunches for their child if applicable.
Please contact Mrs. Vivian Setlock or Ms. Sheila Milligan at 716-824-0726 if you have any questions or concerns.